Monday, October 3, 2011

I can do hard things

As I was reading McGoldrick's write up on family genograms I was surprised by the complicated nature. My understanding is that a family consists of a married couple, man and women, and their children. I understand that divorce is something that touches many families today. I am sensitive to that, and though I cannot say that I understand what exactly it is like to have divorced parents, I want it to be understood that what I have to say is not in any way a judgement on others. These are just some observations and thoughts that I have.

I believe that this genogram, that is Henry Fonda's family, is not what our Heavenly Father intended for the family to look like at all. I don't understand the background of this man, but I think it is fair to say that the individuals that are part of this unit have experienced much uncertainty in their lives. The family is ordained of God. It is a unit that is here to teach, nurture, and prepare young people.

The government comes up with a lot of programs to help young people, when in reality I believe the focus should be on families. Education will be more valued, a stronger resolve to keep commitments in business and a deep sense of caring for others is something that is best taught in the home. It is unfortunate to see so many families struggling because there is only one parent there, or because of abuse that takes place. Observing all of this happening in our own families can cause ourselves to doubt and fear the future. I think this is what Satan wants us to do though. He wants us to question our own abilities to raise a unified righteous family. I have no experience being a parent or even being married, but I hope that when the time does come for those divine opportunities that I will do so with complete faith that I can do it.

"I can do hard things" is a quote from Susan W. Tanner that I read on my mission. I read this and remember feeling that perhaps it was a little corny, but I don't care. I have thought about it often when I have been faced with a challenge. When I start to have a family and things are getting crazy and not going according to plan I hope I remember those words. "I can do hard things." And the reason why I can is because of my divine potential, and through the aid of a loving Heavenly Father who is always watching over me, and ready to guide me when I humbly come to Him for strength, guidance, and love.

1 comment:

  1. Your website is very beautiful or Articles. I love it thank you for sharing for everyone. Things couple do

    ReplyDelete